1/2 pound phyllo or strudel pastry dough -- 12 sheets
3/4 pound sausage, partially thawed, if frozen
3/4 pound ground round
1 1/2 cups onions -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons parsley -- minced
1 teaspoon basil leaves -- crumbled
3/4 teaspoon oregano leaves -- crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 ounces tomato paste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- melted
1. Remove phyllo from refrigerator 2 hours before using. Do not remove from package, as it dries out quickly.
2. Brown sausage in large skillet 10 minutes, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon. Stir in ground round and cook 5 minutes more until meat loses its pink color. Add onions and garlic; cook until soft.
3. Tilt skillet and remove all fat (at least 1/2 cup). Return skillet to heat; stir in pars
ley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and tomato paste; cook 5 minutes.
4. Remove meat mixture to large bowl; cool; place in refrigerator until ready to use.
5. Beat egg in medium-size bowl until foamy; stir in ricotta and Parmesan cheeses; chill until ready to use.
6. Combine chilled cheese mixture and chilled meat. Form into a roll 9" long and 2" high on foil; refrigerate while preparing phyllo.
7. Unfold phyllo on wax paper; remove 1 sheet to another piece of wax paper; cover remaining sheets with damp towel; brush single sheet with melted butter. Cover with second sheet of pastry; brush with butter. Repeat, using 12 sheets of phyllo and brushing each with butter. Place meat roll along short edge; roll up, jelly roll style, tucking in ends and brushing with butter after each turn. Place a piece of foil over ends of rolls; secure with toothpicks so filling will not come out. Place seam-side down on a lightly oiled 15 X 10" jelly roll pan. Refrigerate until time to bake. (Note: Can be prepared ahe
ad up to this point.)
8. Bake in preheated 400F degree oven for 35 minutes or until golden. Remove pan with meat to wire rack. Let stand about 30 minutes, then remove to serving tray with wide spatula. Serve warm but not hot.